Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Of One I'll Come Many

Current System Configuration: Time Management/Chronology and Reality -Adaptative Manipulation (CRAM) Device with Plagiarism Search-and-Destroy Module.
Background Music: To the End of the Galaxy by Salamander Factory (from SRW Alpha 3: To the End of the Galaxy) Maleficient, grandiose and apocalyptic. "To the End of the Galaxy" (Shuuen no Ginga he/終焉の銀河へ)is the said game's final boss theme. It's a dramatic march that has the effect of bringing down the entire galaxy on your head. Listen to when stressed or angry, or during periods of catharsis.
Breakfast: Pancakes and Cheez Whiz

Lunch: Salami sandwich and beef taco-stuffed breadsticks
Dinner: None yet--probably foccacia bread and olive oil again

Today I had to postpone my introductory lecture for this quarter because of a student I caught plagiarizing. Students may think that their teachers are killjoy slave drivers who exist to torment them with endless requirements. While some teachers may be sadists, I'd like to
think that I'm not one. I can't stand failing students, but of course, it's my duty to give these guys and girls the grades they deserve. Failing students because of laziness is one thing---failing them because of plagiarism is another thing altogether.

Of course, we all know what makes plagiarism bad---it's basically denying your teacher his or her responsibility---making students think. This is in addition to the fact that plagiarisim is lying, cheating and stealing all at once. What's bad is when your students actually think they can get away with it---I've proven to them more than once that with my broadband connection and Google I can easily detect and expose plagiarism. Nevertheless, I still found one student's paper to be 50% plagiarized---which is no better than 100%. Student Z jumped from his/her distinctive rancorous "I'll kill you because you're disgusting" writing to clipped and precise journalism language. Of course I was easily able to spot the plagiarized article online, taken from the Philippine Daily Inquirer. I had to harangue them the entire period to hopefully help them kick the habit, because I didn't want them to suffer from stricter teachers later on. The sermon eventually segued from plagiarism to how our individual actions contribute to the entire country's condition.

Now, for those not familiar with the condition of the Philippines: We are a highly social race, very clannish (read: nepotistic), loyal (fiercely so, which is often not a good thing) and hospitable (sometimes falsely) people. Being the way we are, I tend to think that our individual actions tend to affect others more than in generally individualistic societies found
in the West. Sadly, many of these actions are selfish and inconsiderate.

I went to the nearby Starbucks today to resume my daily paper checking routine (which is daily this week only because grades are due on Monday and my boss wants to see the grades by Friday) with the usual drink (tall mocha frappuccino with a single shot of espresso) to stimulate my protesting neurons and lower my core body temperature (because my ailing car's air conditioning unit seems to have passed away, emitting a hot, toxic-smelling gas whenever I turn it on). Now usually there aren't that many cars parked there at 2:00 pm. Usually.

Today the parking lot was full, and one car---a cherry-red lowered Hyundai coupe---was
parked diagonally across two parking slots. When I inquired with the guard, he said that it was parked that way because if the car was parked straight, it would've hit the pavement. (Which I really don't buy---the car was able to park easily later on) Because of this I had to park a good distance away along West Avenue. Not really a problem, but I wanted to smack the car's driver.

Now I have nothing against lowered cars, apart from the fact that by some unfortunate coincidence, their drivers do not seem to have very good manners. I prefer to get rid of stereotypes, but this time I could not. The driver was a rather attractive lady who did not seem to care that she was inconveniencing the other paying customers of the coffee shop.
The hot-blooded warrior in me wanted to flick out my Swiss knife blade and give that gleaming paint job a nice long racing stripe down the side. The Christian in me was grinning and bearing it. Of course I didn't want to be a jerk, so the Holy Spirit won this time and I sat down to enjoy my drink and get distressed by my students' papers.

Now, what on earth is my point? We're social beings. Even the most antisocial humans tend to stick together, as seen in this rather disturbing picture:
This is the infamous Otaku Slumber Party image, which has been edited at least one time to carry a very vulgar and offensive message. Anyway, even individuals who are labeled as outcasts (as otaku usually are) are capable of forming groups. And whenever individuals form a group, there is always an intricate web of cause/effect relationships. If students never get caught plagiarizing and continue to do throughout the rest of their lives, they affect they families, friends and co-workers in one way or another. The same is true for people who do not park responsibly (the effect is of course, making other patrons of whatever establishment they may be in to become irate). Whether we live in an individualistic society or otherwise, forgetting that one's actions affect others is a very good way to grow a hate group.

Enough has been said for the day. さらばだ。
#1019AD20051737


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hot blog...so amusing..heheh...nice Otaku pic....Ü

Anonymous said...

I'd give the car a racing stripe when hardly anyone is looking, then pretend I never did it.

Of course, I'd perform Burst Rave instead of a racing stripe.

By the way, show them how bad some Filipino GunZ players can get too, along with how terrible Gunbound players are, with their "asa" and "sawaw" to prove a point to your students. What a great real life example that hits home.

Anonymous said...

Hot blog...I would say cool.

It's quite hard being both a Christian and a sword-loving person, right?

Filipinos being clannish - frats, gangs, bands, clubs...

I've got nothing really good to say, but anyway, I have a book titled The Elements of Style which cries out that the phrase the fact that "is an especially debilitating expression" that "should be revised out of every sentence in which it occurs". The author even says that the phrase causes him to quiver with revulsion.

Sentences like "I know the fact that..." should be revised into "I know that...".

Ever since, the author's hopeless cause has been integrated into my subconscious mental processes, and I''ve noticed that the phrase the fact that has been used in the following sentence:

"This is in addition to the fact that plagiarisim is lying, cheating and stealing all at once."
-The Black Lion Roars, by Aslan J. Cross

The phrase, somehow, makes sense here, since I can't think of any rephrased sentence with the same meaning. BTW, notice the plagiarisi

Sir, don't mistake me for trying to find faults with your entries, it's just, well, a copyreader's instinct.

...:.|

Aslan Cross said...

It's alright, really, I appreciate comments like this. To my eternal shame, I own the book you mentioned but haven't bothered to read it. Thanks for bringing this up.

Aslan Cross said...

Now that I've thought about it, the sentence can be revised as "This is in addition to plagiarism being lying, cheating and stealing all at once."

Anonymous said...

You shoulda slapped the bitch, scratched her car in front of her, gave her the finger and rammed your Fiat Uno into its side. Then run for your life till all the caffeine on your body was drained completely.

Inconsiderate people infuriate me to such a degree and ladies, you're no exception. And you girls wonder why guys always say "ay babae pala yung driver eh" when some driver makes a turn or hits another car or drives slowly, or does something in the car or on the road that borders sheer idiocy...this lady in the Hyundai coupe perpetuates it. And I'll bet if you confronted her about it, she'd start twirling her hair in her finger and make some ditzy comeback. You're a Filipina! Not a dumb blonde! Pick up your brains and go home! Walk! Save the environment! I don't care what you do! Just stay away from cars.

Ok, now about those students who plagiarize, you guys really love to keep it real...real dumb. First of all, the least you could do to save yourself from humiliation is to just write whatever damn thing comes to mind. Teachers would have been more forgiving in that regard. But to completely discard your brains and start copying someone else's work is just unforgiveable. People get kicked out for something like that in our alma mater. They should do the same thing in Pisay. But nooooooo. I myself have encountered some Pisay students who carry themselves with such air that they think they're ten grades above everyone else but when they start speaking English, a call center rep speaks better than they do. Idiots...

Aslan Cross said...

And that, my dear students, is why you have a teacher like me. Hehe. :P

jv said...

who the heck is anonymous? ang bastos nya, grabe....kung admin lng ako ng blogger.......anyways, studyante m rin ako sir. taga topaz ako, guess who?

Aslan Cross said...

Anonymous...is my best friend. <_< Don't worry, I chewed him out for trying to start a flame war. :P

Anonymous said...

I may not be your student, but I think of you as one cool dude, just seeing you roaming the halls in an MP3 player rocks.

Sir, as a copyreader, it is Cheeze Whiz. Thank you.

Nice acronym for CRAM.

I just want myself to be known as "The One Who Copyreads Copyreaders"

BTW, I've seen FF7:AC! Some parts of it, the Omnislash and Tifa's Fight with Loz, I have watched for 20+ times. :P

www.bluelaguna.net for soundtracks (But I bet you already know that)

PAX

paolo said...

ahHH!!! another image to remove from my corrupted mind!!! the otaku pic is interesting but i suggest you remove it because innocent 12 year-old students might see it...

And about the car, i would samsh her car if i were you, her car was cheap anyway...

Eruanne said...

heeheehee... the (in)famous otaku pic... ^^

swerte mo, sir, dami mong comments, none of them flames. keep up the good work, and please take good care of my widdle bishounen... ^^